Talking about your job/interests and other people’s jobs/interests:
• I’ve been working for/with X (state company/colleague’s name) for X years/months/length of time.
• How long have you been working for/with X?
• I enjoy/love doing/playing/going to X when I have time/in my spare time. How about you?
• I’ve been doing/playing X for (+ length of time) (but I’m still not great at it) (and I’m still improving!)
• How often do you do/play/go to X?
• I’m missing doing/playing X at the moment. What do you miss?
Talking about the local weather/your surroundings:
• The weather has been beautiful//awful//very warm//cold here today/this week/recently. How is it there/where you are?
• Have you managed to get out in this good//bad//sunny//rainy weather?
• This part of the city/town/countryside is well-known for X
• What is your city/town/countryside famous for?
Talking about current affairs:
• Did you hear about X on the news? What do you think about it?
• I read/heard about/watched X on the news recently. I think it’s terrible//good news//very interesting//quite worrying//unbelievable!